- 1kg of Riverina Dairy Easter Cheese
- 8 eggs
- 400g Sultanas
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 cups of fresh mint
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of Mastika
- 1 tsp. of Mehlebe
- 5 cups of self raising flour
- 3 Tbs of Raw Sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 7 grains of Cherry Mehlebe- ground
- 7 grains of Mastika- ground
- 1 ½ cups of Milk
- 1 cup of Canola Oil
- 1 tbs Sesame seeds
- 2 tbs raw sugar
- Grate the Cheese in the food processor and place in a bowl- grind up the spices and add to the cheese with the sliced mint and mix thoroughly. Beat the 8 eggs into the mix, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- The next day- add in the Sugar, Sultanas, and Baking Powder mix well and place back in the fridge. This mixture should be quite firm.
- For the pastry mix the flour, spices and then rub in the milk and oil. Be careful not to add all of the wet mixture just in case your dough becomes too wet. Knead on the bench for 15 minutes- place in a bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven 180°C- grease and line 2 large flat baking trays.
- Roll out the pastry into 5mm thickness and cut into circles at 8cm diameter. Using your hand to cup the pastry, insert a small amount of the filling and fold the outer pastry around to secure the filling.
- Repeat until all of the mixture is gone. Brush the pastries with milk, sprinkle with sesame seeds and raw sugar.
- Bake until golden or 25 minutes. Serve with tea and Coffee