- 180g Riverina Dairy Haloumi
- 1 cup of Plain flour
- 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg- beaten
- 200g Cherry Tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 1 red onion sliced very finely
- ½ a Zucchini sliced julienne
- ¼ cup mint chiffonade
- Good splash olive oil
- Canola oil for frying
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Fresh Lemon cut into wedges
- Slice the haloumi directly in half and then turn the cheese on its side and slice it in half through the equator. This will give you thin flat slices perfect for this dish.
- Set up your crumbing station with the flour, egg and crumb mix- coat the cheese in the flour, dust off before placing in the egg mix, coat well and then place in the crumb mix.
- Repeat the egg and crumb steps to achieve a thick firm coating on the cheese. Place this in the fridge for a few minutes whilst you prepare the salad before frying.
- In a bowl mix the zucchini, tomato, onion and mint. Make a quick dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper & lightly dress these salad items.
- Heat a pan with oil- about 1cm of oil over the base. Gently fry the haloumi cheese, taking care when turning the cheese over not to splash yourself or crack the thick crumb crust.
- When golden on each side, drain on kitchen paper. I use an egg flip here rather than tongs.
- To serve place the haloumi cheese down first and then salad sprinkled over the plate quite freely, dress with fresh lemon wedges and cracked black pepper.